The bidet has been a fixture of European bathrooms for many years, but only now is it starting to see a surge in popularity in the United States. The toilet paper shortages near the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic gave the feature an unexpected boost in the United States, as Americans began to take a greater interest in appliances like the Toto Washlet, which we believe is a strong candidate for the best bidet toilet seat in Laguna Beach, CA.
The best bidet toilet seat provides a cleansing water wash after each use of the toilet. While there are separate bidets you can install in your bathroom, there are also bidet attachments, such as the aforementioned Washlet.
Here are just a few of the biggest reasons why people use bidets in their homes and why they’re becoming more common in the United States:
- A better clean: There’s no feeling of greater freshness than just stepping out of the shower and feeling completely clean. Toilet paper will only clean so much—a bidet uses a soothing stream of water to clean off sweat, grime, and other unpleasantries to a much greater degree, giving you a fresh feeling you would not typically have after using the restroom.
- Environmentally friendly: The average American uses 141 rolls of toilet paper per year, and the United States as a whole account for about 20 percent of global toilet paper usage. That’s a significant amount of paper dedicated specifically to wiping. Plus, it takes about 37 gallons of water to make a single roll of toilet paper. Bidets are much more environmentally friendly, using about an eighth of the amount of water per use and cutting paper usage in the process.
- Comfortable: Bidets don’t just provide a better clean than toilet paper—they also provide much greater comfort. You will get clean with a gentle stream of water rather than the rough texture of toilet paper. Even toilet paper made to be gentle will still rely on friction for cleaning. Over time, wiping too much with toilet paper can lead to irritation, and if you have any conditions that require you to go to the bathroom more often, frequent wiping can get uncomfortable very quickly.
- Cost efficiency: Because bidet users will use significantly less toilet paper, they will be able to save a good chunk of change each year on purchasing it.
- Pandemic proof: Who knows when we’re going to have our next run on toilet paper in stores across the nation? The start of the COVID-19 pandemic showed that toilet paper is an item that people hoard during times of panic. A bidet is also very effective during toilet paper shortages.
- Handicap friendly: Bidets are easy to use for people with mobility issues.
For more information about the various benefits of bidets and the different styles of toilet seat bidets in Laguna Beach, CA, or for help with installation, contact McKeown Plumbing today.